Learning the Earth’s layers with Playdoh
We learned about the layers of the Earth and made the model with playdoh. It helped my son to understand the Earth’s layers, and also it was exciting when we cut the Earth in half!
What you need
- Blue and green playdoh for “Crust.”
- Orange playdoh for “Mantle.”
- Yellow playdoh for “Outer Core.”
- Red playdoh for “Inner Core.”
- Cheese slicer with a wire (If you don’t have one, dental floss, threads, or fishing line might work)
Please change the colors if you would like.
Step by Step
- First, we made the “Inner Core.” We made a small ball with a red playdoh.
- Second, we wrapped it with yellow playdoh as the “Outer Core.”
- Third, we wrapped it again with orange playdoh as the “Mantle.”
- Finally, we made the “Crust.” We wrapped it one more time with Blue playdoh as ocean first, then added green playdoh as landmasses.
We used the butter knife, and it squashed the whole shape!! DON’T USE BUTTER KNIFE! It was a big mistake.
In the second attempt, we used the cheese slicer with a wire. If you don’t have one at home, dental floss, threads, or fishing line might work for slicing… like an egg slicer does. The key is… slicing it in half VERY SLOWLY. Don’t press.
Done! We left it for a couple of days, and it dried nicely.