We learned about the layers of the Earth and made the model with playdoh. (We enjoyed this activity in 2018)
What you need
- Blue and green playdoh for “Crust.”
- Orange playdoh for “Mantle.”
- Yellow playdoh for “Outer Core.”
- Red playdoh for “Inner Core.”
Please change the colors if you would like.
- First, we made the “Inner Core.” We made a small ball with a red playdoh.
- Second, we wrapped it with yellow playdoh as the “Outer Core.”
- Third, we wrapped it again with orange playdoh as the “Mantle.”
- Finally, we made the “Crust.” We wrapped it one more time with Blue playdoh as ocean first, then added green playdoh as landmasses.
The cutting part was tricky. We cut the playdoh Earth in half with a butter knife, and it was a disaster… It squashed the shape…
In the second attempt, we used the cheese slicer with a wire. If you don’t have one at home, thin wire, threads, or fishing line might work for slicing… like an egg slicer does. The key is… slicing it in half VERY SLOWLY. Don’t press.
Done! We left it for a couple of days, and it dried nicely.