Introducing rainforest to my 1st-grader
The hardest thing for me to teach my son about the habitats was letting him imagine or picture what kind of place it is. He was 6 years old, and he had never experienced a rainforest, so we needed to watch many videos to introduce what it looks like.
What you need
- Books and videos about the rainforest
- Animals in the rainforest images from the internet or your drawings
- Color pencils, crayons or markers for drawing
- Letter size paper for drawing the rainforest scenery
- Scissors for cutting out the animal images
I recommend using actual animal images, not clip-art because most kids have never seen these animals except at the zoo.
Idea 1: After learning about the rainforest from videos and books, draw rainforest scenery.
Idea 2: Print out the small size of animal images from the internet, and cut them out. Place on the rainforest scenery drawing.
Resources for Learning Topics
Videos (Animals in the rainforest)
San Diego Zoo introduces animals and plants living in the tropical rain forest. Very helpful!
Rainforest related books list on epic! (Available on epic! Book)