What animals live in the ocean habitat?
Introducing water habitat to my six years old son was a little bit tricky. First, I needed to teach him what is the difference between saltwater and freshwater. He also didn’t know the difference between which animals live in the ocean or fresh water, so we needed to find out that.
We learned that there are massive differences between the coldest ocean (Arctic Ocean) and the warmer ocean (Indian Ocean), so we learned both oceans for our project.
What We Used
- Videos about the Ocean habitat (Resources below)
- Animals in the Arctic Ocean images from the internet or your drawings
- Animals in the Indian Ocean images from the internet or your drawings
- Color pencils, crayons, or markers for drawing
- Letter size paper for drawing the scenery
- Scissors for cutting out the animal images
I recommend using actual animal images, not the clip-arts, because most kids have never seen these animals except at the zoo.
Idea 1: Drawing scenery
After learning about the Ocean habitat from videos and books, draw the scenery. (We made two different papers for both oceans.)
Idea 2: Adding animals
We printed out the small size of animal images from the internet and cut them out. Place on the Arctic habitat scenery drawing.
The Coldest Ocean (Arctic Ocean)
Warmer ocean (Indian Ocean)
Resources for Learning Topics